EIDQ Market Survey Results
Press Release, 15 July 2009
EIDQ Market Survey Results.
Directory Information Industry Market Survey completed by the EIDQ Association
The EIDQ Association (www.eidq.org) has completed its fourth market survey into the Directory Information Industry.
Some of the key findings concerned revenues and call volumes and, in 2008, EIDQ member companies alone achieved revenues of €488 million, of which €411 was generated in Europe. Members reported that their directory assistance volumes amounted to 360 million calls per annum.
Further research findings revealed that the directory information industry revenues for the whole research area amounted to almost €7 billion, of which €6.2 billion was attributable to North America. Call volumes amounted to nearly 8 billion, of which 6.4 billion were in North America.
Other findings related to employment and general trends in the industry. The research estimates that, in Europe alone, some 15,000 people (full-time equivalents) are working in the directory information industry.
The general trend in the forecast for call volumes in 2009 is down with the level of expected decrease varying between 5% and >15%.
The liberalisation wave that has gone through Europe in the past decade did not result in the expected increase in call volumes, in fact, such “liberalised” countries have shown the highest decrease rates.
The few countries that expect a more modest decline in their call volumes in 2009 have either:
• Experienced a severe decline previously in past years;
• A relatively strong economy;
• A monopolist situation.
The majority of the countries reporting a more significant decline have either:
• Already gone through the process of liberalisation.
• A high broadband penetration.
• A high penetration of mobile internet.
The results of the report are based on several sources of information:
• Responses to the questionnaire sent out to all EIDQ members, and other market participants in this area.
• Desk research into annual reports, press releases and market information in the press.
• Data published by listed companies.
• Data published by National Regulatory Authorities (NRA’s).
The full report provides further analysis on the current state of the Industry. There is also an Appendix with a detailed view of the survey responses in five main areas:
• Regulatory situation
• Services offered
• DA Market Size information – Call Volumes & Revenue
• DA Market KPI’s – Usage & Call Centre (workforce)
• DA Advertising characteristics
Get the full report?
Non-EIDQ members can acquire the full report by becoming a member of the Association, which is open to any organisation or company that is involved in the directory information and related search industry.
Membership of the Association has many other benefits:
• Network and share knowledge with 46 members from 28 countries.
• Attend, for free, the bi-annual conferences of the EIDQ and hear and participate in an agenda that the members build and contribute to.
• Access market research providing insight into the providers and consumers of information and search services.
• Gain a unique insight into new and emerging technologies relevant to information service providers.
• Receive a weekly EIDQ news bulletin covering key news items of interest.
• Leverage the informal networking opportunities from meeting with senior executives from the worldwide directory and Telco community.
• Log-in to the Member area of the EIDQ website to access all of the content, conference presentations and knowledge of the organisation.
The current annual membership fee is €5,000 and organisations joining now will benefit by paying a pro-rata membership fee for the remainder of the year to include the above benefits and attendance at the Autumn Plenary Meeting in Brand, Austria on 26-28 October 2009, to be hosted by Swisscom and Volt Delta International.
Membership applications are subject to approval by EIDQ Members.
To find out more, click on How to become a member or contact the General Secretary, David Stafford.
Tel: +44 7885 445715